Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Gravity is Surprising


As usual, UCLA keeps on top of recent movies for their screenings. Last night, I finally got the chance to see Gravity. Not only was it a good movie, but I also appreciate the risks taken with Alfonso Cuaron making a movie like this. Thoughts inside.

I won't be spoiling the movie here, because I'd recommend you go see it, but I have a few thoughts on the movie as a whole. First of all, the performances by the two actors, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, was pretty great. We definitely felt for these characters as they drifted around space and fought, trying to beat the odds. Ultimately, the movie feels different from anything I've seen before.

But therein could lie the division. This is not a crazy, action-packed movie. There's a lot of peril, but it's not an action movie. It's an emotional look into someone who's having the worst possible outcomes in the middle of space. A lot of scenes take place in a single frame, with the camera right on Bullock to capture her character's emotions. Some people may find this frustrating to sit through, but every now and then, something like this needs to be made in order to break trends in movies. If anything, it wasn't boring at all.

Visually, it's stunning. Emotionally, it's pretty on point. Predictable? Yes. But it's rewarding to sit through the movie, and it's also very short, so do yourselves a favor, and check out Gravity if you're looking for 85 minutes of something unusual.

In the Olympics front, US got a Gold in skiing tonight thanks to Ted Ligety. The woman's ice skating competition started today, with Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner from the US both moving into the second half of the competition tomorrow. We may be a few behind in Gold medals, but we've now officially got more medals than any other country right now, which is really exciting. There's only a few more days of Olympics left.

In the Lightning front, I've made it through Day 3 after managing to stretch it out for hours. Unfortunately, I was unable to beat the Luxerion boss as of yet, because I wasn't prepared enough. Gonna have to flip through my guide and see what I can do to prepare a bit better. The guide gives a less streamlined approach to take on the game, with you doing a little bit of the third chapter before you even tackle this part of the first chapter that I'm stuck on... It's a hard game, but I'm getting there.

That's all from me today!

- It's Clear

No comments:

Post a Comment