Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Diverse Musical Taste


One of the cool things about college is the exposure you get to things you may have never thought you'd like, or that you had simply never heard of. In the time I've been in college so far, my music taste has developed and broadened. Read on for some thoughts.

So let me first say that I'm the type of person who will get hooked on a song and then just loop it day in and day out until the next awesome song is found. But I've done that a lot less, lately. The reason? I've been introduced to so many good songs, and I use Pandora now, so there's that. What's changed most, though, is my diversity in music.

A few years ago, I would have turned my nose up to some of the stuff I listen to now. But you know what? Some of it is pretty good. My friends at college listen to a lot of 90's hip-hop, so I've gotten into that more than anything lately.

My spectrum of music is so wide now, you'd never know if I was walking around with the KILL la KILL anime soundtrack playing in my ears, the Persona 4 soundtrack, Gorillaz, or Notorious BIG. That's a huge spectrum. My tastes have come a long way and I'm more open to different types of music, now.

And while modern rap is okay, it's just nowhere near as good as 90's stuff to me. And it's not just rap that I listen to a wide variety of, it's pretty much anything that's not country or opera. I like a lot of 80's stuff. I'm pretty sure 30% of the songs I really love come from the 80's because I really love that style.

I've liked rock my whole life, so that's never changed, but I would have never imagined I would like rap. Although after listening to a lot of that for the past few months, it's safe to say that I really still don't like modern rap that much, so I'm glad my roommate plays a lot of Biggie and the like.

I'd like to offer some selections from a wide spectrum of stuff I've recently gotten into. I'd recommend looking these up if you've never heard them and see if you can get into it, too.

A Touch of Class - "Around the World"
OutKast - "ATLiens," "Mrs. Jackson"
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - "East 1999," "Foe tha Love of Money," "Thuggish Ruggish Bone"
Tears for Fears - "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
Glitch Mob - "Fortune Days"
Dr. Dre - "Keep Their Heads Ringin'," "Let Me Ride"
The Mars Volta - "In Abstentia"
The Fugees - "Ready or Not"
Notorious B.I.G. - "Notorious Thugs," "Mo' Money Mo' Problems," "Juicy"
Haddaway - "What is Love?"
Warren G - "Regulate," "This DJ"
Ice Cube - "Until We Rich
2Pac - "How Do You Want It?"
Nujabes - "Blessing It"
Daft Punk's Album, Random Access Memories
Lindsey Stirling's debut album

That's just a small selection of stuff I've recently gotten into. There's a lot more stuff, like anime themes, but none of them are recent enough to mention yet. I'll do these posts every now and then and hopefully, you'll discover something you never thought you'd like as well. 

Personally, for me, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony is pretty awesome. Anyway, that's it for tonight. Check these out!

- It's Clear

No comments:

Post a Comment