Thursday, January 30, 2014

Racing Games are Fun


Despite frequent frustrations, I always find myself playing racing games over and over again. Not only are they some of the most visually impressive games there are, but a lot of times, there's just so much content. Read on for a few thoughts on the genre.

I've gotten into Need for Speed Rivals over the past six or so weeks. It's an arcade racer that just keeps throwing content my way, whether it be my friends times to challenge or collectible speed cameras, jumps, and other things. And the transition from free driving to race is seamless, literally. Hours and hours of fun.

Racing games are exciting. 

I think the first racing game I ever played was Mario Kart for the Gameboy Advance. I remember it being super frustrating and at a point, I just gave it up. Needless to say, every Mario Kart since then has been played and loved by me. However, Mario Kart's only the beginning. Need for Speed is the best arcade racer out there, and has some of the greatest graphics ever, especially Rivals on the PS4. 

What solidified an interest in non-Mario racing games came from the earlier efforts of the people behind 2012's Most Wanted and 2013's Rivals. That was Burnout Paradise. A game I never had, but I played before I got a PS3 and it was absolutely crazy. Just the graphics and crashes alone were extremely fun, even though crashing is essentially playing the game wrong.

Another racing game that was cool was Split/Second for the PS3. It had some crazy graphics to go with its concept of a racing TV show in which the object was to cause as much environmental destruction as possible. All of these games I'm going on about have been on my game systems for hours and hours. They just generally last long because they're so fun, even if you're just racing against the AI.

One game I will be playing soon is Grid 2, which I got for free from PS+ back in December. Games I'd like to try out are the current racing simulator games, Gran Turismo 5 and 6, which are very difficult because of how realistically they play. It's a different take on arcade or kart racers, which are usually over the top, contain weapons, and are a lot of fun.

Just thought I'd give racing games a little exposure tonight, as news has been kind of lacking in the past few days!

- It's Clear

No comments:

Post a Comment